About The Department
The Marina Police Department was formerly a Public Safety Department with the police and fire services combined for over 25 years. In 2007, the Department of Public Safety divided the police and fire services into separate police and fire departments. The Marina Police Department currently has twenty-nine sworn officers and nine non-sworn personnel. The current staffing for the department includes the Chief of Police, two Commanders, five Sergeants, two Corporals and nineteen Police Officers. Those sworn positions are supported by one Administrative Assistant, one Records Supervisor, three Records Technicians, a Property and Evidence Custodian, and two Community Service Officers. The department services include various police patrol services, vehicle abatement, records, including live scan fingerprinting, animal control, various youth programs, and crime prevention through environmental design.
About The City
The City of Marina has approximately 93 full time employees, and several seasonal workers, part-time/temporary workers and volunteers. The general fund budget is $20.4 million, a total department budget of approximately $8 million. The City is a full-service city, and consists of the following departments: City Manager’s Office, Police, Fire, Community Development, which includes Airport, Planning, Engineering, Building and Public Works; Development Services Department, which includes Redevelopment, Housing, Real Estate and Property Management, Economic Development; and Recreation and Cultural Services, Finance, and Human Resources and Risk Management.
An Exciting Time for the City of Marina!
- Marina is proud of its sizeable ethnic and culturally diverse population.
- You can enjoy four shopping centers and conduct financial business affairs with four banks.
- Marina's library is a large modern facility.
- In collaboration with the Monterey Unified School District, Marina opened Marina High School, its first high school. It is also the home to Los Arboles Middle School, Olson Elementary School, Marina Vista Elementary School, and Crumpton Elementary School.
- Marina includes portions of the California State University Monterey Bay, Golden Gate University, the University of California Monterey Bay Education, Science & Technology Center (MBEST).
- The Dunes Development is a major project currently underway, which includes a housing component and major retailers, including Target, REI, Kohls, Old Navy, Michael's, Best Buy and Bed, Bath, and Beyond, a state of the art movie theater, and several eating establishments for your convenience.
- Marina's airport can accommodate private, business or recreational aircraft.
- Marina encompasses 9,000 acres, which was once owned by ‘Fort Ord’ and is in the process of returning it to the public for natural habitat, educational opportunities and development.
- Marina offers residents the Peninsula Wellness Center and an Anytime Fitness location for your health and fitness needs.
- Visitors can enjoy any one of the city's hotels and motels, to include the beautiful water-front Sanctuary Beach Resort and time share, or the newly built Hampton Inn and Suites by Hilton and the Springfield Suites by Marriott.
- And much more . . .